Thursday, April 10, 2008

I Have Faith

In a recent conversation, I was discussing the conflict between faith and reason with a friend. The following quote was brought to my attention: “Faith is the crucifixion of reason.” I, being a person of devout faith, found that quote to be quite fascinating. It is truly an absolute statement to be make, although it does hold truth on many levels. It begs the question; can faith and reason truly coexist in one’s life? For me, however, the more appropriate question may be can you have one without the other? While faith and reason are often thought of as polar opposites that compete for precedence in the life of the decision maker, it has been my conclusion that the decision maker can not function properly without the use of both.
Humans are not all knowing beings. We never have been, and we arguably never will be. It is simply impossible for our brains to completely and wholly comprehend the vast nature of our universe, though we may make our best attempts. In fact, we spend the first twelve years or more of our life in a vigorous effort to learn and gather all information possible, that we may be educated decision makers who work under the banner of logic and reason. Yet even after extensive education, there are still so many questions that remain unanswered. Indeed, some of the most educated people I know are the ones who will be the first to remind me that we never stop learning—simply because there is too much information to fathom. As Aristotle once said, “The more (knowledge) you own, the more you know you don't own.”
If we as human beings are simply unable to understand everything, then at some point in our decision making, we must make a leap of faith—a choice based on insufficient information. Just as the deist requires faith to believe in the existence of God, so too an atheist requires just as much faith to deny the existence of God. Both of these opposite parties simply do not have enough information to prove their beliefs to be correct, so both must have faith. No matter what your belief may be, faith is required on some level to truly and fully hold to it.
It was said once a long time ago that faith is “the assurance of things hoped for and the certainty of things not seen.” By that definition I would confess that I have an incredible amount of faith, and I’m sure that you do as well. We all have hopes and dreams that we believe in. Is it provable that those hopes will become reality? No. But we must have faith that they will. Without faith, all the reason in the world is literally useless, because our faulty human condition does not allow us to realistically know all. Logic and reason absolutely hold appropriate place in the life of any decision maker. Knowledge is undoubtedly necessary in order for the individual to make wise and accurate decisions. Yet still at some point, human knowledge is insufficient. The human race needs to admit it—we don’t know everything and we never will. We all need faith

9 comments:

theteach said...

Your observations about faith and reason are not unlike those that have been discussed by philosophers and theologians throughout history. This discussion will continue until the world ends.
Take a look at this URL for a brief overview.
http://www.pbs.org/faithandreason/

As you begin to read philosophers such as Kant and Hegel, you will see how complicated the arguments can be. I encourage you to read as much as you can about faith and reason.

Hmmmmmm... said...

Thanks teach,

I am sure that I will be using that site as a source in the future. It seems like a wealth of knowledge on the whole faith/reason controversy. I will also certainly look into the arguments by the philosophers you mentioned. Thanks for your ongoing suggestions and for all of the information you provide. Knowing that someone is actually out there reading what I write helps to make the assignments much more meaningful.

lil ray of sunshine said...

I think faith and reason can exist together. It's all relative, in my opinion. You can think with reason and logic in one aspect of your life and use your belief in faith to govern another aspect. Sometimes they do cross, but not for everyone. Logic, I think, is a completely different story. You can have a strong belief in your faith but still think logically, or not. Have you ever done something on an impulse and afterwards thought 'I shouldn't have done that' or thought 'why did I do that?'. Does your faith really govern every aspect of your life?

madcrazycool said...

It's interesting the way you combined the two forces of reason and faith. Too often faith is singularly associated with belief in a God - not simply just belief. Everyone possesses some form of faith, whether it be faith in life God hope fear happiness. The quotes you incorporated may be some of my favorites from philosophers, especially the first.

theteach said...

Re-reading your blog, I am reminded of another writer that you may find interesting--Thomas Merton. His most popular book is Seven Story Mountain, but I have found his other books more interesting. Conjectures of a Guilty Bystander, Seeds of Contemplation, and Cold War Letters.

But also, study the ancients. If you can read the original works rather than someone's summary or interpretation. Draw your own conclusions.

I encourage you read the social history of the time during which the philosopher or theologian lived.

Happened upon this today:
http://evans-experientialism.freewebspace.com/kant_groundwork_metaphysics_morals01.htm

DOUG said...

This is a really great blog, it definitely addresses an extremely controversial and mind boggling issue. We all question our own faith at one point in our lives and we think about how logical it is. In truth though it is hard to decide if anything is logical since we don't know the truth behind why we are here at all. I like the leap of faith idea because it makes sense, in a world that is utterly unknown we should confide in the unknown. Faith and reason can definitely exist together, like you say, they must. The more we search for the answers to everything the more we realize we do not know anything and therefore it becomes necassary for us to have faith in something.

gatorade said...

Personally, I am not really a religious person and most of that comes from my inability to understand it. I always thought that there were so many other scientific and other reasonings that were too powerful let me follow a religious path. However, the way you combined faith and reason made me wonder about my own faith that I may have, but just do not understand.

I want to research more about faith and religion because seeing your passion for it makes me wonder what I am really missing out on.

Hmmmmmm... said...

lil ray- I believe that you are right about the necessity of both faith and reason in life. Using one all the time over the other would be absurd.

mad crazy- I also agree that faith is so often assocaited with God. People fail to realize that faith is weaved so tightly into the fabric of our everyday lives. It is just as necessary as reason. That was largely my purpose in this post, to show the necessity of faith to everyone, even those who are not religious. It may help those people to see how their beliefs require as much faith as those made by people of religious faith.

teach- thanks again for your seemingly endless fountain of knowledge. I will definitely look into those authors that you have suggested.

doug- We all undoubtedly make leaps of faith every day. Like you say, each of us makes a leap of faith in our beliefs of human origin. To be compeltely honest, there is no concrete evidence to support any belief substantially. Faith is necessary in that instance as well.

Gatorade- Glad to know you found it intriguing. I would definitely recommend that you look futher into it like you said you would. I'd be glad to share with you about my personal faith if you had any questions.

theteach said...

You write: "teach- thanks again for your seemingly endless fountain of knowledge. I will definitely look into those authors that you have suggested."

I love responding to your blogs...
I thank you for the compliment, but I do not consider my fountain endless..:) But if I can offer enough to make you think and search, then I am pleased. :)